Sherpa Engineering has been involved in fuel cell activities for automotive and other industries for more than ten years. The acquisition of know-how through several research and industrial projects with European car manufacturers has allowed us to develop performing tools to model fuel cell systems and design controls.
Our offer includes models and control systems based on our PhiSimFuelCell library and specialized services to develop fuel cell systems from design to final validation:
- Circuit architecture validation and selection of the most appropriate components
- Model based design and validation of the control system
- Analysis of the reliability and fault detection and diagnostic
- Definition of the functional test plan and requirements verification
- Libraries of model components to integrate most relevant thermodynamic and hydraulic phenomena in order to model systems with the highest accuracy and similarity. The library is a support to design and control validation
- Controller based on a hierarchical decomposition of the system and using the model-based predictive control method. The resulting modular system is easily customized for any fuel cell system. Controls for fuel circuit, combustion circuit, electric circuit and cooling circuit are part of this model.
PhiSimFuelCell also provides tools to simulate the system behavior according to driver’s requests and its impact on the vehicle.
Library includes the following elements:
- A simplified model of the fuel cell pack represented by its thermodynamic, pneumatic and hydraulic characteristics
- Hydrogen supply: hydrogen tank, valves for pressure and flow control, and a venturi ejector to recirculate non used hydrogen
- Air circuit: compressor, humidifier to provide the required humidity to the cathode and a valve to control the pressure
- Cooling system: water pump, radiator and a controlled fan
- Control system and fault detection algorithm
- A simplified model of the electric circuit (converter, battery, etc) and the powertrain system